Skip to main content

Mum. You don't have a business....

That was what my 15 year old son said to me when I announced that I'd been shortlisted for a business award. I was pretty pleased with my achievement and his rather derogatory comment took the wind out of my sails somewhat. Now granted I wasn't running my business full time at that point, but still, he'd seen me working at home, disappearing into my recording studio at all times of the day, so if I wasn't running a business, what was I doing?!

I asked him about this and he said, 'but you don't have any premises'. So, in his mind I needed to be going 'out' to work, for it to count. Bear in mind this child is taking Business Studies at school, so really he should know that businesses come in all shapes and sizes, and that a business run from home is still a valid business - but no - a business run by his Mum doesn't mean anything.

Why are my children so dismissive about what I do? They are never excited by my successes or pleased that I've earned enough money to take them on holiday. To them it's all just 'stuff Mum does' - they're always far more impressed that Dad is a research scientist and that his job took us to live in the USA for a while... My sister's son is much the same. She runs her own business making fused glass jewellery and ornaments (here's her Etsy shop) but her son thinks she's just playing about.

So, I was wondering where's the line between having a hobby that makes a bit of money, and running a business?

I've always run my voiceover business as just that - a business, even when I was only working at it part-time. Most of my clients wouldn't even have known that I wasn't full time because I still managed to turn their projects around quickly.

A quick online search showed me that if you intend to make a profit then you're probably running a business. HMRC allow you to earn up to £1000 in a tax year in 'trading income' so as a very rough rule of thumb if you're earning more than that from your hobby then you should be looking into whether it actually counts as a business, and whether you should be declaring these earnings.

Even when I first started I earned more than £1000 a year, so I was definitely running a business from day one - and I intended to make a profit!

So, that proves that I DO actually have a business - regardless of what my teenage sons may think. I was a runner up in the business awards that I mentioned at the start, but I was also one of last year's Top Small Business 100 and this year I've been shortlisted for a One Voice Award. This means that not only am I running a valid business, I'm also running a valid VOICEOVER business, and I think I'm just going to ignore what my children think about it from now on :-)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Voiceover Training

When would-be voiceover artists contact me to ask for advice on how to get into the industry, I always tell them the same thing - start with some training. It wasn't quite the way I started - I had actually done some work before I looked for training, but I was lucky - it's not the norm to get work without at least having a decent demo reel, and I quickly realised that I was going to need this if I was going to get more work. I was living in America when I started my career, and the training company I went to was Edge Studio . I did lots of research before settling on Edge, and what I really liked about them was the fact that they won't just train anybody. They assess everyone who comes to them, and they tell them whether it's worth their time and money to go through the training programme. There are plenty of companies out there who will gladly take your money from you and leave with a voiceover demo that sounds terrible. I was confident that this wouldn't be the...

From Prehistoric Chewing Gum to Voiceover.....

What does pre-historic chewing gum have to do with voiceovers? Not a lot on the face of it, but pre-historic chewing gum was arguably the thing that started me on the path to my current career. Let me explain… Back in 1997 I was a PhD student at the University of Bradford . My field of study was Archaeological Science, and I was looking at natural products (tars and resins) that had been used in the Mesolithic period (5, 000 – 10,000 years ago) as glues and waterproofing agents. These kinds of materials are only preserved in anaerobic conditions (lacking oxygen), such as water-logged bog sites, and so most of the material I was interested in was located in soggy Scandinavia. I spent three weeks during the first year of my research travelling around Demark and Sweden collecting samples to study, and during my travels I came across a number of lumps of tar with human tooth impressions in them – chewing gums. Quite what the purpose of these lumps of tar was, nobody really kne...

Results Day and Lifelong Learning

Proud Mum on results day! This week my eldest son received his GCSE results. I’m relieved to say they were a cause for celebration, even though it made me feel rather old to have a child big enough to be collecting exam results! The next stage in his education will be studying for A-Levels at Sixth Form College, and his chosen subjects are Geography, Geology and Business Studies. He doesn’t have a clear idea yet as to what he wants to do as a career – how many people really do at the age of 16? I know I didn’t, and until quite recently I still joked that I hadn’t really decided what I wanted to be when I ‘grew up’. That was before I trained as a voiceover artist. Now I know that I’m doing what I should be doing and I’m loving my career. Not sure if that means I’ve finally grown up or not….. Anyway, I started thinking about the subjects I took at school, and whilst none of them were courses in how to be a voiceover artist, some of them have definitely been useful to m...